Wednesday, April 20, 2011
Cocoons
Since the weather here in Deauville has been so springlike it could almost be called summer lately, I figured I had better act fast in terms of teaching spring vocabulary to my students. Specifically, this has meant that I have been reading The Very Hungry Caterpillar to several of my classes as well as the twins that I give extra English lessons to on Wednesday afternoons. The students have all had very positive reactions to the story; how could you not with such awesome illustrations and such an easily understandable plot: somehow it encompasses nearly all of our daily routines (counting, days of the week, weather, emotions). Anyway, I like to pause at the penultimate page (you know, the picture of the Very Hungry Cocoon) to ask the students if they know what the caterpillar is going to turn into, just to get an idea of their grasp on basic natural processes. A surprising number of them are aware that caterpillars turn into butterflies, but when I asked that question today in tutoring, Angele responded with "A princess!". If only.
Labels:
kiddos
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment