Katherine and I just finished watching what may be the greatest (and most ridiculous) movie of all time: The Princess Bride. And guess what--it was for homework! About a week ago my students at Fracasse went to see the movie (I'm not sure how the school justified that as an educational activity, particularly since I don't think it was in English), and today when I picked my CPs up for English they were coloring a picture of their favorite scene from the movie. Marion, who reminds me of Ramona Quimby, asked me how to say the Princess Bride in English as we were walking to my classroom, which led to a discussion of the movie in general. I told her I had it with me in France, and she suggested that I watch it tonight and then draw a picture of my favorite scene to show her tomorrow. She was so cute with the way she suggested it that even though it's not usually the students who assign the homework I had to oblige. Plus, I don't really need an excuse to watch the Dread Pirate Roberts best ROUS-es, return from partial death, and storm a castle to win back the Princess Buttercup.
Katherine can tell you that I spent the entire movie saying "This is my favorite scene", but because a) I can't draw and b) I didn't think Marion would understand why I drew the marriage scene (I doubt the priest's ridiculous voice was rendered very well in the French version) I decided to draw the fire swamp, complete with Westley climbing out of the lightning sand, a blast from the fire, and (of course) and a Rodent of Unusual Size (ROUS). And I don't think I'm the only one to prefer that scene, since I saw my CP buddy Elliott's paper and it was covered in fiery blasts. I guess some things have a universal appeal.
No comments:
Post a Comment