Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Another brief Parisian interlude

Since I was taking an evening train to London I decided to visit the Centre Pompidou after seeing my parents off at the airport.  It was a pretty easy choice, since after visiting the Louvre and the Musee d'Orsay I was interested in seeing more modern works, it was rainy, and I get in free with my visaI certainly wasn't the only one with this idea but I didn't feel like a sardine, either, so all in all I would rank this experience very highly.  I got to see plenty of old favorite by folks like Matisse, Picasso, and Kandinsky, as well as some newer works I wasn't acquainted with.


I liked the shadow made by this Calder mobile.

This was a neat and very 3-D room. I felt like I was walking on a contour map.

As I'm sure some of you are aware, the modern art of the CP doesn't just stay inside the walls.  To get to the galleries you have to take a series of escalators inside huge pipes on the outside of the building.  I think many people think it's hideous and looks like a factory, but I really like it.
From the outside

The inside view


The bird's eye view

Weird pipe exhaust fan in front of the CP

Cool view of the Eiffel tower from one of the pipes
Luckily for me the rain stopped before I decided to walk to the Gare du Nord

No comments:

Post a Comment