"If it were merely a fine house richly furnished, ... I should not care about it myself; but the grounds are delightful. They have some of the finest woods in the country."
-Pride and Prejudice, 240
It should come as no surprise that the above quote should come to my mind when I think of Versailles. It certainly is a very fine house, and very richly furnished indeed, but the gardens were what I enjoyed the most. The palace itself was incredibly impressive, and it was amazing to think about Louis XIV-XVI conducting their business here and to see the door that Marie Antoinette escaped through when the hordes of people came to imprison her during the Revolution. Speaking of hordes of people, we sure experienced that as we walked through the palace, and I think that all the pushing might have played a role in my preferring the gardens. I guess I'll go ahead and share some of my photos so that you can see for yourselves. As you'll see, we had beautiful weather so we got to see the grounds at their best, plus operas commissioned by Louis XIV were being played as we walked around and we were lucky enough to come during a period when they had the fountains set to the music. Hard to beat.
 |
| Most of the rooms had ceilings as impressive as this one. |
 |
| The fanciest window-knobs I've ever seen. |
 |
| Mom in the Hall of Mirrors. |
 |
| The palace from the outside. |
 |
| I thought the statue and pavilion here were very pretty, and the curtsying girl only adds to the cuteness. |
No comments:
Post a Comment